Helston Museum is a museum situated in the former market town of Helston, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom.
The museum is housed in Helston’s former Market House and Drill Hall. The museum was founded in 1949, the building was originally designed as the town’s Market House in 1837.
4th Battalion, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (D Company) used it as their drill hall during World War 1.
The Museum expanded into the meat market in the early 1980s and into the adjoining Drill Hall in 1999. A suspended gallery was also added at this time that in turn allowed the creation of the mezzanine art gallery.
In front of the building is a cannon salvaged from the wreck of the frigate HMS Anson which foundered off Loe Bar on 29 December 1807.
The Museum’s collection reflects both the social and industrial history of The Lizard Peninsula, from mining, fishing, and farming through to home life in the 18th – 20th centuries.
Previously run by Cornwall Council, management of the museum was taken over by the South Kerrier Heritage Trust in August 2013. The Trust is a local registered charity working with the community, and day-to-day work at the museum is largely undertaken by volunteers. (Wikipedia)