The VR Field Trip Library is open to future explorers! Take a trip around the world using multiple devices. Remember to click the yellow HistoryView VR button at the top for an immersive virtual reality experience.
The Liberty Bell is an iconic symbol of American independence, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Formerly placed in the steeple of the Pennsylvania State House (now renamed Independence Hall), the bell today is located in the Liberty Bell Center in Independence National Historical Park. The bell was commissioned in 1752 by the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly from the London firm of Lester and Pack (known subsequently as the Whitechapel Bell Foundry), and was cast with the lettering “Proclaim LIBERTY Throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants Thereof,” a Biblical reference from the Book of Leviticus (25:10). The bell first cracked when rung after its arrival in Philadelphia, and was twice recast by local workmen John Pass and John Stow, whose last names appear on the bell. In its early years the bell was used to summon lawmakers to legislative sessions and to alert citizens about public meetings and proclamations.
Although no immediate announcement was made of the Second Continental Congress’s vote for independence, and so the bell could not have rung on July 4, 1776, related to that vote, bells were rung on July 8 to mark the reading of the Declaration of Independence. While there is no contemporary account of the Liberty Bell ringing, most historians believe it was one of the bells rung. After American independence was secured, the bell fell into relative obscurity until, in the 1830s, the bell was adopted as a symbol by abolitionist societies, who dubbed it the “Liberty Bell.”
The bell acquired its distinctive large crack some time in the early 19th century—a widespread story claims it cracked while ringing after the death of Chief Justice John Marshall in 1835. The bell became famous after an 1847 short story claimed that an aged bellringer rang it on July 4, 1776, upon hearing of the Second Continental Congress’s vote for independence. Despite the fact that the bell did not ring for independence on that July 4, the tale was widely accepted as fact, even by some historians. Beginning in 1885, the City of Philadelphia, which owns the bell, allowed it to go to various expositions and patriotic gatherings. The bell attracted huge crowds wherever it went, additional cracking occurred and pieces were chipped away by souvenir hunters. The last such journey occurred in 1915, after which the city refused further requests.
After World War II, the city allowed the National Park Service to take custody of the bell, while retaining ownership. The bell was used as a symbol of freedom during the Cold War and was a popular site for protests in the 1960s. It was moved from its longtime home in Independence Hall to a nearby glass pavilion on Independence Mall in 1976, and then to the larger Liberty Bell Center adjacent to the pavilion in 2003. The bell has been featured on coins and stamps, and its name and image have been widely used by corporations. (Wikipedia)
Helston Museum is a museum situated in the former market town of Helston, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom.
The museum is housed in Helston’s former Market House and Drill Hall. The museum was founded in 1949, the building was originally designed as the town’s Market House in 1837.
4th Battalion, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (D Company) used it as their drill hall during World War 1.
The Museum expanded into the meat market in the early 1980s and into the adjoining Drill Hall in 1999. A suspended gallery was also added at this time that in turn allowed the creation of the mezzanine art gallery.
In front of the building is a cannon salvaged from the wreck of the frigate HMS Anson which foundered off Loe Bar on 29 December 1807.
The Museum’s collection reflects both the social and industrial history of The Lizard Peninsula, from mining, fishing, and farming through to home life in the 18th – 20th centuries.
Previously run by Cornwall Council, management of the museum was taken over by the South Kerrier Heritage Trust in August 2013. The Trust is a local registered charity working with the community, and day-to-day work at the museum is largely undertaken by volunteers. (Wikipedia)
The September 11 Memorial Walkway of Southern Illinois will be dedicated to the many victims and brave respondents of the vicious attacks on America’s freedom and ideals. The Memorial will honor victims of the attacks and those who risked their lives to save others. It will recognize the thousands who survived and the remarkable compassion displayed in the aftermath.
The walkway will be located in the Belleville, IL at the Fire Department Administration Office at Illinois Route 15 and Illinois Route 159. The walkway will feature a 7,100-pound steel remnant of the World Trade Center as the centerpiece and chronicle the story of the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and Flight 93 on that fateful day. (World Trade Center Memorial Walkway
of Southern Illinois)
The Franklin Historical Museum was founded in 1972 and is devoted to the collection and preservation of the history of Franklin, MA. In May of 2010 we moved into our new building at 80 West Central Street, the former Senior Center and originally the first Town Hall. The museum includes a collection of roughly 4000 artifacts including projectile points used by the Native North Americans that inhabited this region hundreds of years ago, wedding dresses used by Franklin residents from as long ago as 1893, a tribute to Horace Mann, a Veteran’s display, pictures and items from Franklin’s many schools over the years, and hundreds of other historical items from the last 300 years, all vital to the study of Franklin history. In addition to our collections, we also have several research projects ongoing including: identifying veterans from our vast library of veteran photographs, posting the Civil War veterans research by Franklin High School students, transcription of the 19th century Wadsworth Diaries, and Mary Wiggin’s diary. (Franklin Historical Museum)