Captured by: Ponte records
The museum and gallery is housed in the building of the former State Real Grammar School. The architecturally significant building was completed in 1913 . After World War II, the German grammar school disappeared and the building began to serve a secondary industrial school. It used the building until 1981 . The former school has belonged to the museum since 1982 – it was ceremoniously opened to the public after an extensive reconstruction completed in 1996 . Since 2019 , when the Regional Museum in Most and the Gallery of Fine Arts in Most were merged, the basement hall of the Dean’s Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Most has been a part of the exhibition space.
The focus of the museum is mainly regional – the main collection and research area is the territory of the former Most district with overlaps into the surrounding districts. From the geomorphological point of view, the museum monitors three important landscape units – the Ore Mountains , the western part of the Bohemian Central Mountains and the Most Basin .
The museum also included the Litvínov chateau in 1964–2005 and the Memorial to the Victims II in 2000–2013 . World War II in Most in the building of the former crematorium in the Municipal Cemetery in Most.