Family-owned since 1926, The Palm Boston serves prime steaks, whole lobster, Italian specialties and award-winning wines.
Captured by: HistoryView.org
Constructed 1784, restored 1965
The Salem Tavern dates to 1784 when it was rebuilt in masonry after an earlier wooden tavern burned to the ground. Parts of the basement walls are from the original 1775 Tavern building.
The Tavern was an important facility for the town of Salem. Leaders decided to place the Tavern on the outskirts of town to avoid the influence of “strangers” on the town as much as possible; however, a tavern was necessary for the town to prosper. Food & lodging were needed for the customers Salem leaders hoped to bring in for their store and for their craftsmen.
The Tavern was owned and operated by the Moravian Church who selected a married couple to run the facility. It was important that the couple could run a successful business as well as set a good example for the Moravian community. In addition to the couple, the Tavern required several workers. A hostler and female workers were usually part of the workforce. An enslaved African American family also lived and worked in the Tavern in 1791.
Many important meetings took place at the Tavern, and several important guests stayed there. Salem’s most famous visitor stayed here in 1791. President George Washington, touring the southern battlefields of the Revolutionary War, spent two nights in Salem, attending a service, studying the waterworks system, and speaking to the townspeople.
The building reflects the special concerns of the residents, such as no front windows on the main level so that activities inside would not be visible from the streets. It had a larger lot to accommodate the barns and facilities needed for the visitors. This was also the first building by mason Johann Gottlob Krause, who built most of Salem’s largest and most important masonry buildings in the subsequent 20 years.
Captured by: LookingGlass.Services
Richard & Lucia Roadenizer and I have been the proprietors of Randy’s Restaurant for 37 years. Their mission is to provide fast, friendly service along with a family-style dining experience. During your visit, be sure to browse through our many aviation history displays.
As an Army Airborne/Air Force retired veteran, Richard gives a real insight and respect for all branches of the military. Randy’s Restaurant hopes that it shows and when you visit you’ll leave with the same kind of feeling.
Lucia, being a native of Itay, has been known to bring in that wonderful Italian flair that our customers have grown to love.
Captured by: Tosolini Productions
Riscky’s BBQ has been around for over 75 years serving up the finest in mouth-watering ribs, BBQ sandwiches and chicken and so much more. The world-renowned Riscky’s barbecue is hand-rubbed with “Riscky Dust” and slow smoked for hours. According to the folks that work at Riscky’s and the customers who frequent the restaurants, Riscky’s has become a legend in Texas barbecue.
Captured by: Metroplex360
One of Skagway’s most prominent buildings, the Jeff. Smiths Parlor Museum is forever connected to the notorious outlaw Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith. Although Smith led his nefarious band of con men from its cramped rooms, he only occupied the building for three short months before his death in a gunfight. What happened to the building after Smith’s demise is an unexpected story with a surprising array of owners, uses, and relocations. In 1935, Skagway promoter Martin Itjen converted the Jeff. Smiths Parlor into a home-spun museum with gold-rush era artifacts, folk art, strange taxidermy, and even animatronic manikins. Read more… (National Park Service)
In 1795 a large herd of wild cattle was found grazing on the southern side of the Nepean River, thriving without human help. They were the progeny of two bulls and four cows that had wandered off from Sydney Cove in 1788. This is why the district became known as ‘the Cowpastures’, and it was here that John Macarthur was granted 5,000 acres of land in 1805.
Macarthur’s grant, initially known as ‘Camden’ and later as ‘Camden Park’, remained with the family for nearly 170 years. As the estate grew, much of the land was tenanted but the family retained portions for their own use, including the ‘Home Farm’. What we now call ‘Belgenny Farm’ was the center of the Home Farm.
From the mid-1830s the family lived at Camden Park House about 2km away. In the English tradition of great country houses, the Home Farm supplied them with fresh produce and directly involved them in farming, independent of their many tenant farmers on the wider estate.
Camden Park and Belgenny Farm have been at the center of one of Australia’s most enduring agricultural stories.
From humble beginnings in 1805 with the grant of 5,000 acres in an area previously beyond the settlement of Sydney, the estate grew to a group of farms totaling 27,693 acres over much of what is present-day Camden and its southern surrounds.
At its peak, the Camden Park had nine dairies and provided milk and fruit for a growing population in Sydney and was maintaining the lead in best practice and innovative agricultural methods for wool production and viticulture.
Camden Park has played an important role for generations in the form of Camden Vale Milk Bar, School Milk and the Rotolactor as well as the development of the townships of Camden and Menangle. The Macarthur family involved with the estate and what is now Belgenny have many amazing stories. You can read their stories by following the links on this site. (Belgenny Farm) Captured by: 3D Insights
Waldmann Brewery & Wurstery first opened prior to the Civil War by Bavarian immigrant Anton Waldmann and his wife (Wilhel)Mina, Waldmann is the oldest surviving saloon building in the Twin Cities. Meticulously restored to its frontier grace and simplicity, Waldmann once again welcomes all with the warmth of its wood stoves, lamplight and traditionally-crafted house-made lagers, wursts and other honest fares. Waldmann is a humble, memorable place—full of stories and tradition that just may inspire you to make a few of your own. (Waldmann Brewery & Wurstery)
Captured by: Nienow Cultural Consultants LLC
Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village, formerly called the Amherst Museum, is an open-air museum located in Amherst, New York. The Museum is dedicated to preserving the history the Town of Amherst, the Village of Williamsville and the Niagara Frontier. (Wikipedia)
Captured by: SiteView