The Saint Piran & Saint Michael Church is one of three in Cornwall dedicated to St. Piran. Piran, reputedly a son of Ireland, may actually have come from Perranzabuloe in Cornwall, the main cult center with another ‘Piran’ church being established at Perranarworthal. Perranuthnoe church is first mentioned in 1348, though its first rector is named in 1277.
The church acquired an additional patron saint – St Nicholas – in 1856, today replaced by St. Michael. A 1980 painting of the legends of St Piran by local artist Rosemary Ziar and modern sculpture of St Piran created by Annie HenryHolland and dedicated by Bishop Bill Ind in 2008 can be found in St Nicholas chapel in the south transept. (Saint Piran & Saint Michael Church)