In the 1930s, Czechoslovakia decided to build a defense system around its borders, in response to the rise of Hitler and fascism to power. Bunkers and small fortresses began somewhere at the level of Ostrava, copied north of Moravia, then the northern, western and southern Bohemia, stretching with South Moravia to move to Slovakia and continue to Transcarpathian Ukraine, which then belonged to Czechoslovakia. Some defensive lines in Bohemia and Moravia were to be doubled according to original plans. Fortifications should be built for several years. After the “Munich betrayal” in 1938 and the subsequent division of Czechoslovakia in 1939, work on this defense system was stopped.
Several hundreds of objects have been built in Slovakia, of which several decades have been preserved in the valley of the Morava River, Bratislava, Komárno and other places along the southern border with Hungary. The only complete defensive section was preserved in Bratislava on the territory of Petržalka. Bunkers copied the state border. They start north along the Danube opposite Karlovy Vary, continue towards the border crossing of Berg, pass through Kopčany settlement, turn east to Lúka and beside the Croatian shoulder again end at the Danube. The line went along the Croatian shoulder, because Rusovce, Jarovce and Čunovo did not belong to Czechoslovakia during this period (it happened only after World War II).
BZ – 8 “Cemetery” is the largest and most powerful armed heavy building in Bratislava. It formed the back of the defense in the middle part of the suburbs and the only one is a full-fledged analogue of the heavy objects built at other points of the border to defend against Germany. Other “modern” heavy objects in Bratislava Petržalka were built more economically. What allowed a lesser degree of threat to this part of the border, which then met with neutral Austria and weak Hungary. Nevertheless, it was necessary to demonstrate the determination to defend mainly the city of Slovakia, which was obviously sufficiently strong. Bratislavský zrub – 8, resistance “Roman” II. These modern buildings were built in Bratislava in the years 1936-38 (along with BZ IV, BZ 13 and BZ 15). Captured by: Jan Hamorsky